The Ontario Kindergarten Program is developed around 4 frames of learning:
- Belonging and Contributing
- Self-Regulation and Well-Being
- Demonstrating literacy and mathematics behaviours
- Problem Solving and Innovating.
Children learn best from a variety of activities that help them investigate, problem solve and collaborate. When learning at home, parents should work to replicate this playful learning environment as much as possible.
Here are some simple ways you can help your child learn:
- Make learning a regular part of your activities at home.
- Maximize learning through capitalizing on your child’s interests.
- Help your child learn through listening to them and asking them questions (supporting their learning) instead of telling your child about things and giving simple answers.
For more ideas and activities, check out the Kindergarten Learning site, by Dr. Jeffrey Wood.